Arkansas Softball has undefeated weekend
FAYETTEVILLE – The University of Arkansas softball team completed an undefeated run through the Razorback Invitational Sunday afternoon win with a 13-5 victory over Mississippi Valley State at Bogle Park. The Razorbacks began their day with a 9-1 win against Bradley. Playing its final non-conference weekend of the regular season, Arkansas improves to 19-5 on the season and has won 17 of its last 19 games.
The Razorbacks next hit the road for a Wednesday matchup at No. 21/20 Tulsa with first pitch scheduled for 5 p.m. (CT). Arkansas' next home series is its SEC opener against No. 2/3 Tennessee at Bogle Park beginning Friday at 6 p.m.
GAME 1 vs. Bradley
The visitors got the scoring started with a run in the top half of the third inning but the Razorbacks responded with nine answered runs to secure a six-inning win over Bradley. Following an RBI groundout by Clarisa Navarro in the bottom of the third, fellow seniors Amanda Geile and Chloe Oprzedek had back-to-back RBI singles to give Arkansas three runs during the frame. With a run already across in the fourth, Devon Wallace delivered with her fifth home run of the season, a three-run shot to left center. She increased her hold on second place in program history with her 33rd career home run, now 10 behind the school record set by Miranda Dixon (2007-10).
Stephanie Canfield led off the sixth inning with her second hit of the game and eventually came around to score on a double by Kasey Fagan. Navarro drove in her second run of the game with a single to right field to end the game. In the circle, Grace Moll totaled four strikeouts and held Bradley to four hits en route to her eighth win and fifth complete game of the season.
GAME 2 vs. Mississippi Valley State
One day after scoring a school-record 20 runs against Mississippi Valley State, the Razorbacks notched 11 runs in the first two innings Sunday on their way to an undefeated weekend. Arkansas opened the game with two runs in the first inning off RBI singles from Geile and Jennifer Rambo. After another 1-2-3 inning by Fagan in the circle, the Razorbacks broke the game open by scoring nine runs on five hits in the second inning. The outburst of runs included a three-run home run to center off the bat of Jessica “Reggie” Harrison, the first round tripper of her collegiate career.
The visitors appeared to extend the game with five runs in fourth inning but Arkansas registered two runs in the bottom of the fifth for its third run-rule victory of the weekend. In her first at-bat of the game, Claire Clark launched a solo home run to center field to lead off the inning. Ashley Martindale started the final scoring sequence with a walk, ending up on third after a stolen base and groundout. Parker Pocklington ended the game with a base hit into right field that brought Martindale in to score. In addition to her work at the plate, Fagan struck out six MVSU hitters in three innings to earn her third win of the season.
• All-time series vs. Bradley: Arkansas leads, 3-0
• All-time series vs. Mississippi Valley State: Arkansas leads, 7-0
• Scored at least eight runs in 18 or 19 wins this season
• 11th time this season with at least 10 runs in a game
• 13th time this season winning by way of the run rule
• 14th time this season with at least five runs in an inning
• Devon Wallace moves into third place on program list with 122 career runs scored
• With third-inning single vs. Bradley, Chloe Oprzedek extended hitting streak to 10 games
• 10 combined strikeouts for Fagan, Young vs. Mississippi Valley State equals team season high
• Sunday’s results are the 498th and 499th wins in program history
• As @RazorbackSB approaches program win No. 500, take a look at other milestone wins bit.ly/1gjrmpL #WPS
• Curious about those @RazorbackSB helmet stickers? An explanation is on the way. #TacoTime #WPS
• Wednesday road trip to nationally ranked Tulsa > final tune-up for SEC play #NeverYield
• SEC weekend opener March 14-16 at #BoglePark v Tennessee #NeverYield
Program ScheduleFull Schedule
- 10:30 PM - 11:00 PM
Louisiana Outdoor Adventures